[leps-talk] Lycaena dione OD issue

Johnson, Kurt JohnsonK at Coudert.com
Tue Jan 8 11:38:41 EST 2002

Let me check Bridges 1994 for you at home tonight.  He usually traces such
duplicate usages OR incorrect citations in the historical literature of the
exact date a certain paper appeared [i.e. actual publication date vis-a-vis
the Code] versus how it was dated on its cover or by others etc.  Often he
gives a chronology of how these mis-citations happened.  I take it you don't
have Bridges' 1994 catalog for Lycaenidae and Riodinidae.  Certainly he
makes errors, but as a basic literature review of this kinds of pretzels
he's usually pretty good, and also where any decisions of the ICZN were
involved etc.

KURT JOHNSON

-----Original Message-----
From: Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX [mailto:Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2002 11:33 AM
To: 'lepstalk'; 'altabugs'; 'lepsl'
Cc: 'Susan Borkin'
Subject: [leps-talk] Lycaena dione OD issue

One of my current projects is a conservation status assessment of the BC
population(s?) of Lycaena dione. As is so often the case I find strange
things when tracking down something as seemingly simple as original
descriptions and publication dates. In this case the literature presents
1868, 1869 and 1870 as the publication dates for this butterfly and
references two entirely different sources. Courtesy of Sean Mullen I have a
valid OD published in 1868 in the proceedings of the boston society of
natural history. I now need to lay my hands on a copy of the other version
of the OD "Scudder, S.H. [1869?1870?]. A preliminary list of the butterflies
of Iowa. Trans. Chicago Acad. Sci. 1(2): 326-337". My suspicion is that the
butterfly was described twice but of course I need to get the trans. chicago
acad. sci. version to test that suspicion. If anyone can help with a copy of
said document plse drop me a line. Many thx.

Norbert Kondla  P.Biol., RPBio.
Ministry of Sustainable Resource Management
845 Columbia Avenue, Castlegar, British Columbia V1N 1H3
Phone 250-365-8610
Mailto:Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/WoOlbB/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/CCYolB/TM

TILS Motto: "We can not protect that which we do not know." © 1999

TO post: TILS-leps-talk at yahoogroups.com