Lord of the rings was Use the delete button:) - I probably should

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Tue Jan 8 14:11:02 EST 2002

I've read none of the books but have seen the movie.  Both of my older kids
(31 & 34) have seen the movie (twice).  They both own the books and have
read them several times starting in High School.  They both liked the
movie - a lot.  I went with my son.  Afterwards he had a number of remarks.
The one that sticks in my mind the most is that this is a three hour movie
as it is, and it is still "short" if one were to try to get in all that is
in the one book - Fellowship of the Ring.  A great many of the folks who
will go see this will have never read the book(s) and are just your
go-see-it-all-sci-fi-buffs (like me).   Hopefully, they will want to "read
the book" which often happens in these situations.  Actually, the Hobbits
were small to me - you don't notice this at first because everyone in the
opening part are all Hobbits -- till the wizard comes in and towers over
them.

One last thing.  My daughter has her MS in education and is an elementary
school teacher (currently on leave to raise a young child).  My son' degree
is in Literature and is a published poet (been paid $100 hour to read his
verse at Spoleto, he has also done tiny bits in two movies etc.)  So both
of them are knowledgeable of the books, the arts, and the audience.  On a
scale of 1 to 10 I'd say they rate it an 8.  Me?  I'm just waiting for the
next Terminator, Matrix, Star Wars, & Rocky movies to come out.

Ron

PS  That's Rocky and Bullwinkle by the way -- those proud grads of
Whatsamatta U
of which some a U must be gradutated of too.