Dermestid

Leptraps at aol.com Leptraps at aol.com
Wed Jan 9 15:52:49 EST 2002

Charles Bird wrote:

I joined this list in order to learn more about leps and the various techniques of working with them. I feel that many of the recent posts have been off track. I do not care for sarcastic responses/flames and use the delete key on any that appear. I have a basic question that I believe falls within the parameters of what the list was meant to do.

Though I do not have a current problem, I would like to know what, in your experience, is the best way to prevent Dermestid beetles from getting into a collection and of killing any that may have gotten into a box. My practice has been 3 days in the freezer if I discover a problem, also 3 days in the freezer for anyone else's specimens that come my way. I have been using a 1 cm square of vapona in a corner of a specimen box as a deterent. Am I doing the right things? Can any of you recommend other, or
better, methods?

Charley
Charles Bird, Box 22, Erskine, Alberta, Canada, T0C 1G0

Protection is the best defense against Dermestids. I store all my specimens in steel cabinets that are air tight and light type. Once a year I use moth crystals in the cabinet. I store all my papered material and material on spreading boards in another steel cabinet with shelves that is air tight and light tight. I keep moth crystals in this cabinet at all times. I have other papered material in a freezer. Should I receive material from others, a week in the freezer, then onto a spreading board. I use nothing in the drawers nor do I leave specimens out over night. Even my papered material are in tupperware containers.

I have not seen a Dermestid in 20 plus years in my collection or in my home where my collection is kept. Works for me.

Cheers,

Leroy C. Koehn
Georgetown, KY