Degreasing and species ID

Niklas Wahlberg Niklas.Wahlberg at zoologi.su.se
Thu Jan 10 05:07:44 EST 2002

Hi,
     I recently received a bunch of cool African species of Nymphalinae for
my molecular work. One of the species was sent unidentified and after
extracting the DNA from it, I've spread the specimen and put it's picture
up at http://www.zoologi.su.se/research/wahlberg/Nymphalinae/cacta.htm . I
have two questions, 1) can anybody confirm my ID that it is Salamis cacta?
2) the butterfly is totally greased over on the top (which is why it is so
difficult to ID), how does one degrease butterfly wings? I know this was
discussed sometime back, but I can't remember when. Any info would be welcome!

Cheers,
Niklas

Niklas Wahlberg
Department of Zoology