Degreasing

Dr. James Adams jadams at em.daltonstate.edu
Fri Jan 11 12:32:27 EST 2002

>Niklas wrote:

>  One more question: the specimen I intend to degrease has been already
> spread (ie the specimen on my web pages). Will submerging it in eg ethyl
> acetate for some hours relax it, or will it remain unaffected?

Actually, I have experienced drooping or slight change of wing position
problems upon submerging specimens in acetone (it does not happen
frequently).  (You may also notice the edges of the wings curling as the
solvent volatilizes.)  If there has been a slight wing position change, you
can reset the wings *immediately* upon removal from the solvent (before it
has dried), assuming the change is  not appreciable.  The specimen will at
best be only slightly flexible.

         James

James K. Adams
Phone: (706)272-4427