Manicured lawns and other such things

Martin Bailey cmbb at sk.sympatico.ca
Fri Jan 11 16:59:29 EST 2002

It doesn't take me more than 30 minute drive in any direction to get to
places where I will not see another person for the rest of the day.
Unspoiled nature - not a chance.  The change started with the demise of the
buffalo - which no one at the time missed.  They got in the way of farming
and, besides, they are much harder to handle than domesticated cattle.

The next noticeable loser was the Prairie Wolf.  It was shot out because it
could take down what was suppose to become yours and mine hamburger.  But
there have been winners.  Great Horned Owls, Merlins and Magpies who have
expanded their  range.  And then there are the introduced birds that manage
: House Sparrows, Grey Partridge, Ringed-necked Pheasant.

The Merlins eat House Sparrow.  The Grey Partridge and the Ringed-necked
Pheasant are food for Prairie and Peregrine falcons.   A new balance.

And what about butterflies?  I don't know.  But here are my speculations:

Skippers, which relied on native grass has been ploughed under or now
competes with introduced grasses, are doing worse.  In pre-agricultural
times Regal Fritillaries and American Coppers would be found during years of
more than normal rain.  The whites and sulphurs are doing better.  They
love Alfalfa.  A plant grown for cattle fodder that has escaped from the
confines of the cultivated field to no ones chagrin. And then there is that
introduced noxious weed - Dock.  Adopted home for Bronze and Purplish
coppers.

One thing is for certain, it is never going to go back to the way it once
was.  No native habitat has been left untouched. We are going to have to
make do with what we have and work at enhancing it.

Do things  like leaving a binder full of pictures of all the birds that nest
or pass through the local golf course in its lounge.  You would be surprised
how many closet birders there are.
Folks that would be proud to know that their club is a wildlife sanctuary
and are willing to keep their golf course as one. (Don't spray the roughs.)

Butterflies are a little trickier.  "They're caterpillars aren't they.  Boy!
can they make a mess of our leaves."

But there are always opportunities.  The local course dumps its junk over
the hill onto land that has never been broken.  Native grass.  Great for
skippers.

Any suggestions on how I should handle this one?

Martin Bailey,

greetings from:  Weyburn, SK., Canada.
                         49.39N  103.51W