NABA proposes policy that could harm nearly 1,000,000 Painted Ladies

Bob Parcelles,Jr. rjparcelles at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 12 11:17:58 EST 2002

--- Paul Cherubini <monarch at saber.net> wrote:
> The following appeared in the current copy of American Butterflies
> published by NABA:
>
> "We urge you to write the USDA and make the following points:
> The proposed regulations can not adequately meet the needs of
> scientists interested in tracking migratory movements of Painted
> and/or American Ladies. At the least, the USDA should require
> small color dots on farmed butterflies intended for release, so
> that butterfliers can recognize individuals in the field as far
> animals, not wild butterflies."
>
> HOW  COULD 1,000,000 PAINTED LADIES BE HARMED? :
> Each year Insect Lore, a California based Painted Lady breeding
> operation supplies schools, brides, grooms, widows and widowers
> with nearly 1,000,000 Painted Lady caterpillars or chrysalids. When
> the adult Painted Ladies emerge, they are released without ever
> having
> to forcibly handle or manipulate the butterflies in anyway. For
> example,
> in the case of wedding and funeral releases, each Painted Lady
> adult
> is packaged in its own little box that springs open after a
> securing
> string is removed.
>
> Now if brides, widowers and school children are required to
> forcibly
> hold down a fragile and struggling Painted Lady, while trying to
> paint
> colored dots on them, the risk of butterfly injury is obviously
> going
> to be high.
>
> NABA's proposed colored dot marking policy appears to contradict
> it's website mission statement:  "NABA, a non-profit organization,
> is working to promote the public enjoyment and conservation of
> butterflies."
>
> Paul Cherubini

Paul,

This is one time I agree with you wholeheartedly. While, I still
question m"mixing up populuations", I think statisticaly this might
be going to extremes.

Bob

=====
Bob Parcelles, Jr
Pinellas Park, FL
RJP Associates, C2M-BWPTi
rjparcelles at yahoo.com
"Change your thoughts and you change your world."
- Norman Vincent Peale