UV Lights and Butterflies

Leptraps at aol.com Leptraps at aol.com
Sat Jan 12 19:42:22 EST 2002

My experiences are more than likely minimal when compared to some true moth
fanatics. I have recorded all the butterflies that I have taken in a light
trap and at my rig. To date, 141 species. All in North America.

The most butterflies occurred along the Rio Grande River at Fronton, Starr
County, TX, 20 Oct. 1996. Well over 25 Asterocampa antonia and A. leilia came
to my light rig with 2 - 175 Watt MV, 4 - 40 Watt BL and 4 - 275 Watt Sun
Lamps. I must note that there were thousands of them on the wing. A bait trap
along the river a few hundred feet, contained over 600 earlier during the day.

Cheers,

Leroy C. Koehn
202 Redding Road
Georgetown, Kentucky