World wide leps lists

Doug Yanega dyanega at pop.ucr.edu
Sun Jan 13 15:28:01 EST 2002

Pat Foley wrote:

>Niklas Wahlberg's suggested Markku Savela's website
>http://www.funet.fi/pub/sci/bio/life/insecta/lepidoptera/ditrysia/papilionoidea/index.html
>
>and it is indeed astonishing, though not as compact as a list.
>
>Any other lists?

I've been seeking any and all electronic worldwide Lep lists for over
a year, and have yet to find one that is genuinely comprehensive and
up-to-date. Markku's is indeed the closest thing, but for my purposes
the interface is problematic (as noted, it is NOT compact); what I'm
looking for is an actual straight list/table of names that can be
viewed all at once and/or downloaded as a single file. My goal is to
develop a relational database for entomology museum curators. I
already have a complete hierarchy for the Insecta from family level
up, and below that only have a certain set of taxa for which I have
complete global generic and/or species lists (Collembola, Embioptera,
Mecoptera, Ephemeroptera, Trichoptera, Odonata, Mantodea, Apoidea,
Sphecoidea, Chalcidoidea, Proctotrupoidea, Ichneumonidae, etc.).
Lepidoptera is a noticeable and surprising gap. If there are people
here working on (or interested in working on) global - NOT REGIONAL -
generic *or species* lists for any groups within the Lepidoptera, I'd
like to hear from you. I'll happily convert flat files or
spreadsheets with the appropriate data into database format, and will
also happily convert database files into HTML tables, and make them
available on a website, with appropriate credit. For one example of a
database I've compiled and posted, visit my "Bee Genera of the World"
page at http://entmuseum9.ucr.edu/entmus/beepage.html to see the sort
of file I'm talking about.

Peace,

            http://entmuseum9.ucr.edu/staff/yanega.html