World wide leps lists

Niklas Wahlberg Niklas.Wahlberg at zoologi.su.se
Mon Jan 14 03:43:32 EST 2002

Well, if you want a relatively up to date list of all species and genera
belonging to the subfamily Nymphalinae, go to
http://www.zoologi.su.se/research/wahlberg/Nymphalinae/Nymphcheck.htm . I
say relatively, because I'm still digging out all the relevant revisions
for all the genera. For instance, I know that the latest Systrematic
Entomology has a revision of the genus Hypanartia, but I haven't had the
time to go to the Swedish Museum of Natural History to copy it (our idiotic
library cancelled it's subscription to Syst Ent in 2000). Also, I guess the
format of my pages is not the most ideal for downloading and copying. I am
a newbie at making web pages, so any advice regarding how to make lists
accessible to others would be appreciated! As for the Nymphalinae
checklist, I hope to one day be able to list all the synonyms under each
species, but that day is unfortunately far away. I also have Don Harvey's
classification of the Nymphalidae at
http://www.zoologi.su.se/research/wahlberg/Nymphalinae/classification.htm ,
but this is a list of genera and the higher classification will change once
we get a handle on the phylogenetic relationships of the genera (for
instance, Harvey's Limenitidinae is polyphyletic).

I know there are several people working on the systematics of different
groups of Lepidoptera. May I suggest that each one of you does something
similar to what I have done with your own group? I would be happy to have a
web page with links to all global lists of Lepidopteran species!

Cheers,
Niklas

At 12:28 13.01.2002 -0800, Doug Yanega wrote:
>Pat Foley wrote:
>
>>Niklas Wahlberg's suggested Markku Savela's website
>>http://www.funet.fi/pub/sci/bio/life/insecta/lepidoptera/ditrysia/papilionoidea/index.html
>>
>>and it is indeed astonishing, though not as compact as a list.
>>
>>Any other lists?
>
>I've been seeking any and all electronic worldwide Lep lists for over a
>year, and have yet to find one that is genuinely comprehensive and
>up-to-date. Markku's is indeed the closest thing, but for my purposes the
>interface is problematic (as noted, it is NOT compact); what I'm looking
>for is an actual straight list/table of names that can be viewed all at
>once and/or downloaded as a single file. My goal is to develop a
>relational database for entomology museum curators. I already have a
>complete hierarchy for the Insecta from family level up, and below that
>only have a certain set of taxa for which I have complete global generic
>and/or species lists (Collembola, Embioptera, Mecoptera, Ephemeroptera,
>Trichoptera, Odonata, Mantodea, Apoidea, Sphecoidea, Chalcidoidea,
>Proctotrupoidea, Ichneumonidae, etc.). Lepidoptera is a noticeable and
>surprising gap. If there are people here working on (or interested in
>working on) global - NOT REGIONAL - generic *or species* lists for any
>groups within the Lepidoptera, I'd like to hear from you. I'll happily
>convert flat files or spreadsheets with the appropriate data into database
>format, and will also happily convert database files into HTML tables, and
>make them available on a website, with appropriate credit. For one example
>of a database I've compiled and posted, visit my "Bee Genera of the World"
>page at http://entmuseum9.ucr.edu/entmus/beepage.html to see the sort of
>file I'm talking about.
>
>Peace,
>--
>
>Doug Yanega        Dept. of Entomology         Entomology Research Museum
>Univ. of California - Riverside, Riverside, CA 92521
>phone: (909) 787-4315 (standard disclaimer: opinions are mine, not UCR's)
>            http://entmuseum9.ucr.edu/staff/yanega.html
>   "There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness
>         is the true method" - Herman Melville, Moby Dick, Chap. 82

>   http://www.peabody.yale.edu/other/lepsl

Niklas Wahlberg
Department of Zoology
Stockholm University