the way it was in suburban habitats

Richard Worth rworth at oda.state.or.us
Mon Jan 14 13:39:35 EST 2002

Barb,
I know what you are talking about.  I grew up in San Jose during the
wonder years of the 70's and there were many more butterflies around
even then.  I noticed species in our yard that you have to be in the
hills to find now, like coronis frits and chalcedon checkerspots.
Looking back, in the short period of time from the early 70's to the
late 80's, I noticed a huge drop in numbers of butterflies.  The
lemon bushes across the street regularly had Monarchs in numbers in
the spring and summer, as well as cardui, zelicaon and others and
LOTS of healthy honey bees.  There was a favorite collecting spot my
dad and I used to go off of Page Mill Rd. in Palo Alto...yeah, Palo
Alto, the center of Computersville and expensive upscale housing.  It
was a small dirt rd that went down to a foot path that ran along a
small stream.  We found a good percentage of the common species from
the Bay area in this one location.  That small dirt rd.is now a
driveway and the site has been destroyed.  The Monarchs used to fill
the sky over at the beach in the fall.  There were also a great many
Gulf Frits around the passion vines.  The trees were loaded, even
then, compared with today's numbers.  A very visible decline.  It
seems the beginning of the end in California was around 1980.  Giant
corporations and big business were encouraged under a new,
environmentally unfriendly administration, the electronics industry
exploded with the budding computer technologies, Medfly was found and
systematically sprayed by helicopter with Malathion,  and the people
came in droves.  As Barb said, even one of the Natural bridges
collapsed during a violent winter storm in the 80's.  I can remember
when all the fish in the Los Gatos creek were floating belly up.  I
think Ron was right, money was the new god.  Though young, I then
understood why the Indian was crying in that commercial a few years
before.

Rich