Miami Blue

John Calhoun John.Calhoun at SempermedUSA.com
Wed Jan 16 09:58:50 EST 2002

John,

Thanks for the response.  You are correct, there are two species of
balloon-vine in the Keys. However, C. corindum was never all that common and
has never been known to support populations of C. thomasi (that's not to say
it can't).  Also, the exotic C. halicacabum has suffered a decline recently
(even botanists have noticed). I think that as the butterfly became more
fragmented, C. halicacabum offered a suitable and readily available
alternative in southern Florida.

I don't know about the suitability, or unsuitability, of C. halicacabum as a
host.  It deserves a look.  It appeared to support healthy populations of C.
thomasi for at least twenty years.  However, Hurricane Andrew hit and
destroyed a number of sites in 1992, further fragmenting the species.  This,
combined with the continued development of coastal south Florida, has likely
contributed to a rapid downward spiral.  I believe it simply reached a
critical level and could no longer locate distant habitats and hosts.  As
populations sites disappeared, they were not replaced.  In fact, the
surviving populations on Bahia Honda utilize both balloon-vine and
nickerbean.  The Bahia population is quite isolated from other potential
sites. The Big Pine Key population is the dilemma.  It simply disappeared
from there, despite an abundance of native hosts and lack of balloon-vine
where it once occurred (in other words, it likely used something other than
balloon-vine as a primary host, but it still disappeared from there).

Cardiospermum halicacabum has been removed from a number of areas by the
State of Florida during habitat restoration projects.  This removal has been
both intentional and accidental.  A large patch that supported C. thomasi on
northern Key Largo was removed during the development of the Key Largo
Hammocks State Botanical Site.  In 1996, thomasi was observed there.  After
removal of the plants, none were seen until last year when a probable
sighting of a single adult was reported in the area.

John