Miami Blue

robert beiriger robert.beiriger at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jan 17 14:15:32 EST 2002

Dear all:

    Even though there is nothing for control of Ballon vine on the web as
John suggests, there are a couple of herbicides (Basagram is one) which list
Ballon vine on the label.  If balloon vine was tested and put on a chemical
label, it had to be a problem at some time or some where.  From what I have
seen in South Florida in the last 10 or so years, this no longer is the
case.

Robert Beiriger
Loxahatchee, FL

> >Can anyone else confirm what Leroy suggests (and I was
> > wondering) - is the
> > >Balloon Vine an exotic and if so, what did the Miami Blue
> > subsist on prior
> > >to the introduction of the vine?
>

> There are two balloon vines in the Florida Keys (aren't common names
nice??)

> Cardiospermum corindum, a native species and Cardiospermum halicacabum, a
> non-native tropical species.  Based on a quick web search, there are
similar
> species (ecologically and morphologically) - and it seems likely that both
> are hosts for Cyclargus thomasi bethunebakeri.
>
> I did a quick web search for control methods for Cardiospermum
halicacabum,
> and there are no online resources available on the Wildland Weeds web
page.
> This indicates that it isn't a real problem invasive (or at least a big
> enough problem that people have developed a formal element abstract for
> it).. but it is a widespread exotic.  So its probably an early
successional
> "naturalized" species - like Queen Anne's lace in the Midwest.
>
> This raises some questions about the actual suitability of both species as
> hosts (and about plans to grow "balloon vine" as a tool to stabilize the
> butterfly population).  It is possible that one of the hostplant species
is
> a sub-optimal host.  I know you can get perfect adults out of C.
halicacabum