Commode Collecting

Elisa Collins jlygrnmigt at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 17 08:50:58 EST 2002

I've been back for about a year and a half now, but when I was living in the
Philippines, I had all sorts of stuff in every room of my "apartment" ...not
just the bathroom.  It was essentially an enclosed porch with three bedrooms
and a bathroom through the 4 doors across the back.  Whenever someone from
back home asked about it, I told them I lived in a zoo.  We had two large
spiders (Pablo and Diego, both missing a leg), a stray cat, a rat that liked
bananas, a black baby snake, a Lucanid beetle named Carl ( I actually kept
him in a cage for a bit...until he chewed through the screen covering the
lid), tokay lizards (ask a Vietnam Vet what he used to call them), small
lizards that were commonly known as "house geckos", and twice we got to
experience the joy of the termite swarm.  Someone mentioned that buildings
in Costa Rica are often open up top, it was the same way in the the
Philippines...the walls never quite reached the ceiling.  So as we were
batting away at all the huge termites with our school folders, the numbers
would go down, the geckos would slow down their munching, and as if we were
in a video game, all the bad guys from the next level would rush in through
the opening.  I'm just thankful there was no "level boss".

Oddly, the only leps I really saw were the ones I was rearing.  My
instructor referred to them only as "yellow butterflies".  I have no idea
what the species was, only that they fed on Thailand Shower and Golden
Shower.

-elisa