Early successional stages

Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca
Thu Jan 17 11:26:30 EST 2002

Some additional natural disturbance agents in my part of the world that
'recycle'/open up that nasty old tree canopy and create butterfly habitat
are: pine beetles which sometimes reach epidemic proportions over large
areas; small patch openings are regularily created by Armillaria root rot
and this has a most salubrious effect in contributing habitat diversity to
an otherwise monotonous coniferous forest; snow avalanching is very common
here and maintains early succesional habitats (many of these are well known
for their spring feeding value to Grizzly Bear but remain unstudied re.
butterfly use. On a microscale, ground squirrel digging and bear digging
create substrate for the Polygonum host plant of Lycaena nivalis. Lots of
fascinating stuff going on out there. I recall somebody suggested that there
should be more study of model tropical systems. Worthy as that is; I cannot
see how that will be of much or any use to people that have to make land use
and resource management decisions in other completely different ecosystems.