Vanessa at night

Michael Klein keps2 at flite-tours.com
Fri Jan 18 12:01:47 EST 2002

I have had a similar experience with Vanessa cardui in southern California.
Four years ago in mid-March I was on a property site performing a sensitive
bird survey ( I am a consulting biologist).  This was in Yaccipa east of
Riverside.  It had just rained/snowed the evening before and the snow levels
were down to 1,500 feet.  This property I was on was at 2,600 feet and there
was snow everywhere.  At 8:15am with the temperature of 34degrees F, I had 6
cardui flying past me heading northwest.  I recent years I have observed
cardui many times with air temps in the mid-40's F or lower and they were
either sunning on rocks or actively nectaring.  Definitely a hardy
butterfly.

Michael Klein
San Diego