Vanessa at night

Niklas Wahlberg Niklas.Wahlberg at zoologi.su.se
Mon Jan 21 03:19:23 EST 2002

At 10:12 18.01.2002 -0800, Paul Cherubini wrote:
>Niklas Wahlberg wrote:
> >
> > Paul,
> > You forget one thing, humans can't see in the dark.
>
>What?  On warm, starry, moonlit nights?

Yep, on warm starry nights with a full moon. How many moths have you
identified to species, genus, family, without an artificial light after the
sun has gone down? How many moths have you seen actually flying without any
source of artificial light? I remember as a kid going out to catch
hawkmoths buzzing around flowers around midsummer in Finland (where it
doesn't get dark at night in summer). Never the less, around an hour before
the true midnight (not taking into account daylight saving time), it was
too murky to see eg Sphinx ligustri (that's much bigger than a Painted
Lady) flying against the lilacs. Perhaps they weren't flying anymore? ;-)

Cheers,
Niklas

Niklas Wahlberg
Department of Zoology