Vanessa at night

Paul Cherubini monarch at saber.net
Tue Jan 22 00:30:57 EST 2002

Anne Kilmer wrote:

> So you reckon that, wafted by a hurricane, Monarchs, for instance, quit
> flying when the lights go out?

Yep, I agree with Bob Parcelles that below certain light frequencies and
thresholds, butterflies are probably functionally incapable of oriented flight
and end up crashing into objects or the ground (or ocean).

> They do show up in the British Isles, and have been recorded, often,
> after hurricanes. (Neil can substantiate this, as can Trevor.)

I think some monarchs get blown out over the Atlantic ocean
then land on ships and stay with the ships until land is in sight.

Monarchs routinely land on boats crossing the Great Lakes in September.
In the Gulf of Mexico they cluster at night on oil drilling platforms in
October. Great PR for the oil companies!

Paul