the way it was in suburban habitats

Grkovich, Alex agrkovich at tmpeng.com
Wed Jan 23 08:52:57 EST 2002

Here in Massachusetts, it was recently reported by a "watcher organization"
that (the very rare, at best) Erynnis persius (Persius Duskywing) had been
recorded "again" this past spring from the "southeastern portion of the
state". This particular watcher organization, by the way, is composed of a
membership of almost everything but Lepidopterists.

Since reading about this "record" last month, I have continually wondered
how this very difficult observation was made. How was the specimen
determined to have been persius? Was it made by sight? Was the specimen
photographed in the field at rest? Heaven forbid, but was a "voucher"
specimen perhaps taken (and just keep in mind that persons from this
organization had asked me over the course of the past summer, when I was
still posting to the group [and I don't waste my time anymore doing that] to
"please do not mention the word  'voucher' in your postings to us")?

As we all know very well who have ever attempted to study the group,
Duskywings are very difficult in most cases (except for juvenalis- and down
south even that species can be difficult) even with spread voucher
specimens.

To me, humankind has recently been regressing into the "age of
anti-science". Misidentifications (often made either on purpose or totally
without concern), man-made "butterfly gardens" where children can be
introduced (while being programmed) to controlled unnatural scenery rather
than taken to wild habitat to be properly introduced to natural science,
etc. etc.

This morning there was an article in the Boston Herald (one of our two local
Boston newspapers): "conservation groups" are now pressing for laws which
would require fishermen to immediately report their "catch" to authorities
via e-mail (or something like that). It's not just us Lepidopterists,
apparently. Anyone who would like to read the article, let me know. I'll
either fax it or mail it.

"SAVE THE WHALE!" Remember that one?