[leps-talk] Polygonia gracilis

Grkovich, Alex agrkovich at tmpeng.com
Wed Jan 23 09:53:33 EST 2002

Here in the northeast, gracilis (which is uncommon) is quite distinct from
progne (which is not uncommon in the Canadian Zone but rare southward) and
from faunus (which can be abundant in the Canadian Zone). However, females
of faunus often appear to lack the green spots and then become surprisingly
difficult to distinguish (at least to me) from female gracilis. My
observation, this is that faunus and gracilis are more closely related than
either to progne. Am I correct in anyone's opinion.

Here, a good field mark for gracilis (beside the usual characters), at least
in the males, is the presence of some whitish scales near the FW and HW
apical areas.

There was a record of "zephyrus" from the upper peninsula of Michigan.