[leps-talk] Re:"natural" photos?

Grkovich, Alex agrkovich at tmpeng.com
Wed Jan 23 12:38:33 EST 2002

Mark,

See comment below.

Alex

	[AG]    Mark, this is EXACTLY how it is in Connecticut with the
Connecticut Butterfly Association, for example. The CBA, while including in
its membership both "collectors" and "watchers", is not opposed to either
(neither am I); I have good relationships with all of them, and let me tell
you, there are some VERY knowledgeable people there who DO NOT collect,
individuals who are far more knowledgeable than I ever will be. So the issue
is not whether one collects or watches, whether or not one is a NABA-member
or not, the issue is whether one has an open mind and respects and
understands the dignity of the other person or not. I feel sorry for this
person you write about; I can see he is compassionate about living thigs
that are disappearing before his eyes. But then so do I. I don't want
butterflies, birds, snakes, spiders, cougars, etc. or any living thing to
disappear or their habitat to be destroyed any more or less than he does.
But I'm not going to tell someone else what he should be doing or not be
doing, nor am I going to go around requesting species to be "listed" in
order to restrict someone's deep desire to collect them and learn about
them.

	Meanwhile, one of my most productive collecting spots in
northeastern Massachusetts has been surveyed for a future 100 ACRE
CONDOMINIUM COMPLEX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY???????? There's already too much
traffic on Rt. 114, on which the property lies.