Crambus whitmerellus and C. leachellus

Eric H. Metzler spruance at infinet.com
Thu Jan 24 08:20:18 EST 2002

Charlie,

The two are easy to tell apart.  They don't look much alike.  You may
have only one or the other of the two species, and the series may be
mixed with other species that are more similar to either of the two you
mentioned.

leachellus is a tan moth with a single broad subcoastal white stripe.
It looks most like watsonellus but with a wider tan costal marking.  The
hind wing is not too dark.

whitmerellus is brown.  The multiple white markings are more reminiscent
of agitatellus.  There is a very narrow coastal white stripe and a
broader white subcoastal white stripe.  There are a few white markings
in the subterminal area, and a distinctive apical mark of
white,dark,white pattern.  The hind wing is dark.

Good luck.

Eric Metzler in Columbus Ohio