Rare butterfly may be placed on endangered species list ..Article

Bob Parcelles,Jr. rjparcelles at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 24 10:46:29 EST 2002

Rare butterfly may be placed on endangered species list

By Pamela Smith Hayford, phayford at news-press.com   Ft.Myers
News-Press  January 24, 2002
http://www.news-press.com/news/today/020124blue.html

A small blue butterfly - about the size of a quarter, wings
and all - used to flutter around these parts of Florida
years ago.

But today the delicate-looking Miami blue may be near
extinction.

The population is so low - only one confirmed colony is
left - that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is considering
putting the Miami blue on the endangered species list and
it is looking for input.

Finding a Miami blue in Southwest Florida is a rarity, say
local butterfly enthusiasts.

"I don't know a whole lot about it except that I never
expect to see one here," said Gayle Edwards, a master gardener
of four years specializing in butterfly gardens.

The last verified sighting of a Miami blue colony here was
in Sanibel in 1990, said John Calhoun, a researcher who
this month finished a study on the Miami blue with two other
scientists: "The Rise and Fall of Tropical Blues in
Florida."

"It's been all over, but you can't find them anymore," said
Mia Mazza, who runs The Butterfly Sanctuary of Naples with
her husband, Tom.

The Miami blue isn't the only fancy flutterer to fade away.
The Atalla butterfly has become a rare sighting.

"There will be more. I can see losses of population here in
Collier County already," Tom Mazza said.

Many people blame development. Some blame mosquitoes
chemicals.

"Really habitat loss is the main problem," Calhoun said.

Most construction clears away the natural plants and
replaces them with landscapes of exotics that local wildlife,
including butterflies, can't eat. No food. No butterflies.

Some developers are doing better, like The Bonita Bay
Group, Tom Mazza said. They plant natives.

Backyard butterfly gardens are also becoming more popular.

"If everybody could do that, and that's one of the things
we do, that would give them a source of food and help
maintain a population that's being destroyed," Tom Mazza said.

Fish and Wildlife Service's Miami blue notice two weeks ago
sparked the beginning of the Miami Blue Preservation and
Restoration Project by the Institute of Ecological and
Environmental Studies.

The program started as a challenge from a Tampa Bay area
scientist, Bob Parcelles Jr., to colleagues to do something
about the Miami blue.

"They're going to do plantings and restorations and things
like that," Parcelles said. "It's going to give us the
blueprints to monitor other species."

- -

=====
Bob Parcelles, Jr
Pinellas Park, FL
RJP Associates, C2M-BWPTi
rjparcelles at yahoo.com
"Change your thoughts and you change your world."
- Norman Vincent Peale