animal torture for pleasure

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Sun Jan 27 11:26:30 EST 2002

I've tried hard to keep out of this senseless ongoing rhetoric, but friends
Chris and Norbert, I can't agree with you.
Most of the anti-collecting people are NOT animal rights activists (nor even
particularly interested in animal rights per se).   All perspectives are
represented among the watchers and there are probably butterfly collectors who
don't believe that warm fuzzy creatures should be experimented on.

Some watchers vehemently object to collecting and others moderately and others
not at all and some watchers like me collect for particular reasons
(intellectual?).
But there is no anti-collecting monolith.

AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, virtually none of the animal rights activists give a hoot
about invertebrates. Try to interest PETA or PAWS people in butterfly rights. Or
take a wounded butterfly to a wildlife rehab center.

The notion that this is a single continuum from right to left or (right to
wrong) is not helpful, anymore than trying to figure out what the U.S. political
spectrum looks like nowadays.

Nor is the anti-collecting sentiment anti-intellectual, anymore than collecting
is purely intellectual.  Aesthetics play a role in both.

Several posts have demonstrated that collectors and watchers co-exist in most
place and respect each others viewpoints and proclivities under most
circumstances.  Watchers can examine mounted specimens with awe and appreciation
even though they might never want to collect or mount a specimen.  And they can
appreciate the ability to examine subtleties of species differences (or
variation) closeup, without ever perfecting the swing and twist.

And there exists also some resentment about the fact that many collectors
unabashedly identify "sale and trade" as interests in the LEP SOC directory.

Mike Gochfeld