Buckeye photo/ Goose Island SP

Grkovich, Alex agrkovich at tmpeng.com
Mon Jan 28 12:30:17 EST 2002

	See comment/question below:
> > > Yes I agree with your forewing ID tips, Nick.  My described cream and
> > > orange differences are very evident in these clear cut photos.  I wish
> they
> > > were all this clear cut and easy.  For nigrosuffusa - No orange
> evident in
> > > the hindwings, no cream surrounding the eyespots, and reduced eyespots
> in
> > > the forewing are very typical of nigrosuffusa.  For coenia - Orange
> bands
> > > in the hindwings and the creamy area on the forewings that enclose the
> > > eyespots are textbook coenia in my book.  Coenia also have HUGE
> eyespots.
> > > If theres no cream in your coenia forewing but orange in the forewing
> > > around the eyespot its probably J. evarete.

	[AG]    Good! Then, what exactly are these specimens from San
Antonio, TX  which (females) are very large and very bright above, with
cream in the FW band (no pink or orange) but have orange inside the larger
eyespot, and tend to have EXTREMELY oversized (both) HW eyespots? and
(males) small, dark ground color (but not smokey) with cream in FW (no
orange) and orange inside the lower FW eyespot, and tend to have both HW
eyespots reduced? Maybe they're just coenia, but something is going on.

	In late March last year, I took a series of "coenia" at Panama City,
FL in a dry field (flying with Fiery Skippers etc.) which tend somewhat
toward "tropical" types.

	I have a short series of Buckeyes from near New Orleans (June 1996)
that are very large and bright and look somewhat like the San Antonio
material, except there is no orange inside the lower FW eyespot, and the
lower HW eyespot is smaller than in the corresponding TX material.

	Evarete and genoveva from last week in St. Thomas, USVI are exactly
like Andy Warren described (and exactly like in the S.Florida/West Indies
book). It took me a half hour to collect a male evarete. The genoveva were
all in weedy habitat, from sea level to 1550 feet.