was Monarchs: Eucalyptus.. now is exotics

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Mon Jan 28 13:40:30 EST 2002

Hi Rich,

I have to admit, when I saw you post suggesting that the California riparian
ripper I have seen in Colusa County, CA was the magic Buddleia bush, as I
haven't been there in a good while, I scratched my head a minute and my mouth
gaped wide open.

After getting over the possibility that it might be Butterfly Bush, though I
really didn't think it was the case, I was able to track down name of the
alien I was refering to:

It is: Tamarisk or Salt Cedar

Tamarix chinensis, T. gallica, T. parviflora & T. ramosissima

According to California Native Plants Society, it invades:
Desert washes, riparian areas, seeps and springs

Thanks for the interesting info on Buddleia, in any case...just goes to show!
 I hope appropriate control is feasible where it is a problem.  Though now
I'd like to visit those areas to check out the Leps...

Best wishes.  Doug Dawn.
Monterrey, Mexico

En un mensaje con fecha 01/28/2002 11:46:41 AM Central Standard Time,
rworth at oda.state.or.us escribe:

<< Hi Doug and all,
 Are you possibly speaking of Buddleia davidii, the famed "Butterfly
 Bush".  I'm not sure of the problem in California, but here in
 Oregon, it is becoming a problem for exactly the reasons you mention.
 I like the plant as much as anyone >>