riparian exotics

Richard Worth rworth at oda.state.or.us
Mon Jan 28 15:01:31 EST 2002

>Hi Rich,
>
>I have to admit, when I saw you post suggesting that the California riparian
>ripper I have seen in Colusa County, CA was the magic Buddleia bush, as I
>haven't been there in a good while, I scratched my head a minute and my mouth
>gaped wide open.
>
>After getting over the possibility that it might be Butterfly Bush, though I
>really didn't think it was the case, I was able to track down name of the
>alien I was refering to:
>
>It is: Tamarisk or Salt Cedar
>
>Tamarix chinensis, T. gallica, T. parviflora & T. ramosissima
>
>According to California Native Plants Society, it invades:
>Desert washes, riparian areas, seeps and springs

Yes, I have heard of these.  Actually someone else on the list here
just mentioned Salt Cedar recently.

>Thanks for the interesting info on Buddleia, in any case...just goes to show!
>  I hope appropriate control is feasible where it is a problem.  Though now
>I'd like to visit those areas to check out the Leps...
>
>Best wishes.  Doug Dawn.
>Monterrey, Mexico

Unfortunately, the culprit is definitely Buddleia here.  English Ivy
was finally listed last year and now is illegal to sell in Oregon
(except a few varieties I think).  However most nursery owners are
fine with it and realize what a problem it has become.  It may be
quite a different story with Buddleia, given its real popularity with
butterfly gardeners.  There were quite a few skippers visiting the
streamside plants when I was there (late summer).  I need to get out
with a net for a closer look, off the clock ;-).  Most were Ochlodes
sylvanoides from what I could tell, pretty common here in the valley.

Best,  Rich

Richard A. Worth
Oregon Department of Agriculture
Plant Division