was Monarchs: Eucalyptus.. now is exotics

Liz Day beebuzz at kiva.net
Tue Jan 29 13:16:42 EST 2002

 >>It does well in both cold, foggy, cloudy, rainy climates like
 >>Pacific northwest and hot, dry inland areas such as the
 >>central Valley of California.
 > Also, it does very well back east too.
 >There was one plant down the street from us growing right up through
 >a crack in the street at the curb (they had a planted one too,
 >probably a seed that washed down the driveway.

All this is surely true but bizarre to hear.   I went to some effort to get
ours to grow and after years they still were barely hanging on despite good
garden care - must be the cold winter - I've never found a volunteer
seedling - hard to imagine this expensive and unreliable plant as a pest!!

Liz Day
Indianapolis, Indiana, central USA  (40 N, ~86 W)
Home of budgerigar Tweeter and the beautiful pink inchworm (Eupithecia
miserulata).
USDA zone 5b.  Winters ~20F, summers ~85F.  Formerly temperate deciduous
forest.
daylight at kiva.net
www.kiva.net/~daylight