was Monarchs: Eucalyptus.. now is exotics

Richard Worth rworth at oda.state.or.us
Tue Jan 29 11:32:58 EST 2002

>It does well in both cold, foggy, cloudy, rainy climates like
>Pacific northwest and hot, dry inland areas such as the
>central Valley of California.

And we do have hot, dry Mediterranean-like summers here in Western
Oregon in the valley, we don't all live on the coast ;-)  Also, it
does very well back east too.  I saw some beautiful ones in Florida
and my grandpa had them for years at his place in New Jersey.

>  But to survive in hot, dry climates it needs
>frequent watering.

This is probably why the one my dad planted in his yard in San Jose
died; in bad location (fairly hard clay) and didn't get watered.  SW
US must be the hardest place to have them escape in the wild because
of the heat and water requirements.

>Another limitation is the temperature in winter.
>Temperatures below zero degrees F are usually fatal - at least to the
>top woody growth.  So it won't grow in the wild east of the Cascades,
>but will do fine west of the Cascades (with some injury when a deep
>freeze hits - about once every ten years).
>
>Yes buddleia loves well drained soil. So in the Pacific northwest
>one finds it along rocky road embankments, steep slopes
>and other disturbed ground areas.  In old industrial neighborhoods
>it grows well in the cracks of deteriorating or abandoned
>concrete building foundations.

There was one plant down the street from us growing right up through
a crack in the street at the curb (they had a planted one too,
probably a seed that washed down the driveway.

This all seems about right to me.  Nice summary, Paul

Cheers,  Rich

Richard A. Worth
Oregon Department of Agriculture
Plant Division