was Monarchs: Eucalyptus.. now is exotics

Paul Cherubini monarch at saber.net
Tue Jan 29 12:57:50 EST 2002

Liz Day wrote:

> I understand it's a pest in England.   Only, I'm puzzled, because my
> experience in growing it in Indiana and also what I hear from my English
> friend is that it likes hot, sunny, very well-drained areas.   This doesn't
> sound right for a wetland invader, nor one in the Pacific Northwest.   !!??

It does well in both cold, foggy, cloudy, rainy climates like
Pacific northwest and hot, dry inland areas such as the
central Valley of California.  But to survive in hot, dry climates it needs
frequent watering.  Another limitation is the temperature in winter.
Temperatures below zero degrees F are usually fatal - at least to the
top woody growth.  So it won't grow in the wild east of the Cascades,
but will do fine west of the Cascades (with some injury when a deep
freeze hits - about once every ten years).

Yes buddleia loves well drained soil. So in the Pacific northwest
one finds it along rocky road embankments, steep slopes
and other disturbed ground areas.  In old industrial neighborhoods
it grows well in the cracks of deteriorating or abandoned
concrete building foundations.

Paul Cherubini