MIAMI BLUE BUTTERFLY RESTORATION PROJECT/MIAMI BLUE BUTTERFLY RECOVERY TEAM

Matthew Smith MatSmith1 at compuserve.com
Tue Jan 29 16:15:01 EST 2002

Message text written by INTERNET:rjparcelles at yahoo.com

Neil Jones, from South Wales is Webmaster and we will open the
website for the public shortly. Neil will be helping raise support
for the project in the UK. They have already lost most of their
butterflys.<

Oh no we haven't, as I am sure Neil will tell you.    A few species have
gone, but some are in the process of being re-introduced.  A number of
species have shown a severe decline over the past few decades and there is
some concern as to whether the decline can be halted and / or reversed.
The UK charity Butterfly Conservation is working hard with these.   Some UK
species on the other hand have actually increased their range over the same
time period.

Lots of up-to-date info on the UK butterfly fauna in 'The Millenium Atlas
of Butterflies in Britain and Ireland' published by Oxford University
Press.

Regards

Matt Smith

England