"dealing butterflies is a propaganda construct"

Mike Quinn Mike.Quinn at tpwd.state.tx.us
Mon Jun 3 17:34:23 EDT 2002

When I visited Key West, Florida last year (before the Miami Blue site was
common knowledge) I asked a wide variety of folks involved in tourism where
might be a good place to see butterflies. Almost without exception, the
person being asked would stare back with huge eyes and try to direct me to
the following location. It was unfortunate that dead butterflies from a
continent away were almost universally seen as superior to local butterflies
on the wing. (Incidentally, if one travels to south Texas and asks around
for places to look for native butterflies, one would quickly be directed to
as many as a half dozen prime locations.) Mike Quinn
------------------------

Wings of Imagination
http://www.wingsofimagination.com/

"Raised in select butterfly farms from South America, Africa and Southeast
Asia, these "wings of wonder" have completely lived out their short adult
life cycles. They stand as testament to the incredible diversity of the
tropical rain forest and the importance of mans's need to preserve their
fragile habitat.

At 9 years of age Sam Trophia witnessed the incredible transformation of a
homely caterpillar into a beautiful Monarch butterfly, which forever
captured his interest in the butterfly world. By the age of 15, he was
studying and raising Monarch butterflies in upstate New York. In 1975 he
collaborated in a research project to band butterflies resulting in the
understanding of the annual migration patterns of the Monarch from the
eastern half of North America to their over-wintering sites in Mexico.