Escaping the heat - Mt. Charleston, NV

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Sat Jun 22 03:42:17 EDT 2002

The temperatures in Las Vegas soared above 100 degrees F this past week,
which made it tough to play businessman equipped with long sleeved shirt and
tie.  I managed to get up to Mt. Charleston on two occasions to escape the
heat and see what butterflies might be flying.  I was here just over a month
ago, and I didn't see a single lep.  What might I find this time?

While both Kyle and Lee Canyons are dry, there was considerable nectar
available.  Arriving in Kyle Canyon at about 10:30 a.m. on 6/18, I
immediately began seeing Limenitis weidemeyerii (Weidemeyer's Admiral)
floating across the highway.  Before long I began to see more activity, with
a smallish Papilio rutulus (Western Tiger Swallowtail) dominating the
species list.  These swallowtails were common from about 6500 ft. all the
way to 9000 ft.  I hiked up pretty high, but found that the species became
fewer at altitude.  Above 9000 ft. I found Nymphalis californica (California
Tortoiseshell) frantically patrolling the rugged stream beds.  Also common
and flying rapidly at altitude were Vanessa annabella (West Coast Lady).  I
was pleased to find the very distinct Euphydryas chalcedona (Variable
Checkerspot whose ssp. name eludes me) at both high and low altitudes,
though it was uncommon.  Also present but in good numbers was Speyeria
carolae (Carol's Fritillary).  Unfortunately, the thistle was not in bloom
(in fact it looked as though it was already spent).  I did find the
Fritillary all the way down below Rainbow, though, which was as low as I've
seen it.

I collected a pair of the very orange Chlosyne acastus (Sagebrush
Checkerspot) at nectar at about 7000 ft.  Common above 7000 ft. at lupine
were Plebejus icarioides (Boisduval's Blue - whose ssp. also eludes me).
Mostly males were encountered as they bopped from hostplant to hostplant
looking for some hiney.  I found only two females in two days, so I can
understand their frustration.  Celastrina ladon (Spring Azure) was common
throughout the region.  There were also good numbers of Leptotes marina
(Marine Blue)

Perhaps the highlight of the trip, though it required some hiking to find
it, was a single male Plebejus Shasta (I believe they call this bug the
Charleston Blue).  It's a gorgeous little creature, and is fond of rugged
habitats characterized by little vegetation.  Flying close to the ground,
the ground color is distinct from the other blues.

I saw no Pierids.

The only hairstreak that was encountered was a single Strymon melinus.

Besides the Weidemeyer's Admirals, which were also common between 6500 ft.
and 9000 ft., I spotted a single Adelpha bredowii (California Sister).  I
didn't recall that this butterfly flew in the Spring Mountains, but there it
was.  I suppose it should be called a "Nevada Sister".

A few skippers were flying, including two Hesperia:  juba and what I think
is colorado (though it may be something else).  There were Duskywings, but I
never netted one to get a positive id.

The temperatures in the canyons were a good 25 degrees lower than in the
city below.  A very nice way to escape the heat.

The list:

Papilio rutulus (Western Tiger Swallowtail)

Strymon melinus (Gray Hairstreak)
Leptotes marina (Marine Blue)
Celastrina ladon (Spring Azure)
Plebejus icarioides (Boisduval's Blue)
Plebejus shasta (Mt. Charleston Blue)

Speyeria carolae (Carol's Fritillary)
Chlosyne acastus (Sagebrush Checkerspot)
Euphydryas chalcedona (Variable Checkerspot)
Polygonia gracilis (Hoary Comma)
Nymphalis antiopa (Mourning Cloak)
Nymphalis californica (California Tortoiseshell)
Vanessa annabella (West Coast Lady)

Limenitis weidemeyerii (Weidemeyer's Admiral)
Adelpha bredowii (California Sister)

Erynnis ?
Hesperia juba (Juba Skipper)
Hesperia colorado? (Branded Skipper)