MIAMI BLUES NEWS

ParcBob at aol.com ParcBob at aol.com
Wed Jun 26 13:58:00 EDT 2002

Hi  Carol,

My time due to pressing commitments and my lousy health is quite limited. I
have written several essays this week and am working on two more. Therefore,
I am going to post this reply. I hope you do not mind. But TILS and myself
are getting a little fed up with some of things we read and hear. Of all of
the people who are inviting lawsuit...
Alana's mother saying I am a "stern man"  and her campaign against Anne (I
have friends in the NABA chapter they share) s the biggest bull hockey of all
the bull hocky we have been enduring! I can truthfully say that anyone who
knows me would laugh at such a preposterous statement! I thought these people
were Anne's friends and they were privy to insider information which was used
to set up the NABA program. Enough is enough is enough.

I have set up the list but not quite ready to turn on yet. Several reasons.

1) We are actively involved in research and have to play a little close to
the vest.
2) And also, in a broader sense, we are trying to diffuse the political
situation which Jeff Glassberg as caused to some extent and Alana and her
mother to a much greater degree. We have great need for the Task force, so do
not be disappointed.
3) A lot of files and traffic have been on Nature Potpourri,  one of the most
read Ecology Lists in the world for all walks of people and all types of
biologists. Every federal and many state level political types get the
newsgroup version and thousands of people all over the world from organized
forwards. Most all of the Project  functionaries and many Task Force people
are on it and  represented quite frequently. We have a website for the
general public which will grow when we are able to confirm and prove some of
our discoveries and when the Task Force is activated, we will also use
volunteers from the Task force to help with surveys etc. So anyone involved
in the Miami Blue should be subscribed. Even if it is just to access it on
line. Secondly, any one who is on the project and the science or breeder end
should be on TILS-Talk as well. Anybody can join these two lists.  But not
MBBPR.
4) When we turn on the MBBRP list we do not want to bog down on "everyone
trying to reinvent the wheel".  It will be member moderated. We have Nature
Potpourri for general discussion and news and we have TILS-Talk for
scientific contribution. The MBBRP List It is for action plans involving
outings, projects, committee formation, support, etc., for the task force but
they need to be caught up to speed by inquiry. Anne will be working on the
her old CC list before I turn on and manage another list. She will get the
word from me.

We are concentrating on ants, host plants, relatives of the Blue etc. Our
only hurry is to have efforts from the Task Force ( read ...grass roots
before any listing is done). Our plan is the only way possible to restore
this butterfly. It is different from any of the other restrain plans that
have been done and which have contributed to the fame of several researchers.

 We need money to
1) print thousands of John Calhoun's ID Brochure and have the Task Force
distribute it.
2) Organize to help with ongoing surveys, etc.,
3) Pay expenses, particularly for our field researchers.

People are growing host plants. Breeders are standing by etc. In a week or so
I will turn it on.  We have just had to concentrate our efforts on liaison
and preliminary research. We obviously are not going to be working for free
and a national Organization take the credit for it. They are competing for
donations and causing PR that has people holding back their money. Well, let
me say this. We will succeed and I have no doubt about it. My father's death
and my most recent illness have set us back but I will not let us fail. so I
suggest that some of you who are spending so much time editorializing either
get aboard or get the hell out of our way.

 NABA does not have the support or a grassroots base as we do. When Anne said
that eventually we would get thousands working in South Florida she was not
kidding. So we had flash's in the pan like that arborist, what's his name. It
does not matter. No one is irreplaceable. People talk about people getting
USFW grants etc. Well, for thirty years I have had to bid for them and I
think one still does. NABA should have joined us. We did what Jeff asked for
and 100's of NABA people did and have responded to us. Now some of them have
been threatened! Imagine that!!!  They (Jeff Glassberg ) should have
congratulated us and shared the leadership with TILS and C2M. Some of the
entomologists in the state said they would stand back and see what Anne does.
Do they think we do know the scientific method! As Ron said to me "what are
we chopped liver".  S. I hope to ignore the NABA President unless he makes
some recognition and sits down with us or our counsel.

 However, I am quiite taken with Bob Kelly and Tropical Audubon and will
treat them indepenfantly from their organization. We shamelessly, use
breeders, lepodopterists and other people that the people above have
slandered, ridiculed etc. That is not easy to forget and I have had to make
certain promises to the breeders for example, and if there support continues
to grow there is no way I will go back on my word. But when you give me your
word I expect you to keep it talk is cheap.

A lot of people have to realize, while I support NABA, C2M and TILS are
professional organizations with much scientific backing and TILS has direct
experience in this type of project.  I have worked with endangered habitats
and species since 1969 and my firm since 1973. We have heard some ridiculous
tales around the state and it is very easy for some people to talk about the
"butterfly first and work together". Well, I do not see any of them kissing
anyone's arse and I never will so don't anyone expect it. I have been known
to kick it. I am not doing this for fun. C2M and I have a dozen projects to
work on that could result in monies for C2M, or myself if I should desire. Or
I could just do my thing which I did for many years and made money most
biologists only dream of. Lets all do a reality check here. I do not plan to
stay disabled.  I certainly have not lost my wits only my breath. I meet self
important people in the Sierra Club, Audubon etc. Therefore we want people
who are themselves and do what they can do and do what they say and let other
people live their life. The environmental  and conservation movements have no
room for phonies or charlatans...nor does science. We can give all of the
phonies jobs in politics.

So Carol, we welcome your participation and if I was not always putting out
fires It would be a lot easier for us to progress.

Bob Parcelles, Jr.