Miami Blues News...Not the draft but the final version! Really

ParcBob at aol.com ParcBob at aol.com
Wed Jun 26 15:47:08 EDT 2002

Hi Carol,

I am having some problems typing today due to some medication from a
procedure this am. I am on the third post of this letter.

My time due to pressing commitments and my lousy health is quite
limited. I  have written several essays this week and am working on two more.

Therefore, I am going to post this reply. I hope you do not mind. But TILS
and
myself  are getting a little fed up with some of things we read and hear. Of
all of  the people who are inviting lawsuit...Alana's mother saying I am a
"stern man" and her campaign against Anne (I have friends in the NABA chapter
they share) is the biggest bull hockey of all the bull hocky we have been
enduring! I can truthfully say that anyone who knows me would laugh at such a
preposterous statement! I thought
these people were Anne's friends and they were privy to insider information
which
was used to set up the NABA program. They have called us amateur collectors
and "breeders" and given the impression to Parks people that we are less than
sincere.

I also feel very strongly that this man has not the right to self -appoint
himself the "namer" of butterflies. lumping, splitting and ignoring have no
basis in taxonomy without science. I think TIL, since the lepidoptery
societies appesar to be intimidated shou do it. just assume it as he did!

 Enough is enough is enough.

I have set up the list but not quite ready to turn on yet. Several
reasons.

1) We are actively involved in research and have to play a little
close to
the vest.
2) And also, in a broader sense, we are trying to diffuse the
political situation which Jeff Glassberg as caused to some extent and Alana
and
her mother to a much greater degree. We have great need for the Task
force, so do not be disappointed.
3) A lot of files and traffic have been on Nature Potpourri, one of
the most read Ecology Lists in the world for all walks of people and all
types
of biologists. Every federal and many state level political types get
the newsgroup version and thousands of people all over the world from
organized forwards. Most all of the Project functionaries and many Task Force

people are on it and MBBRP is represented quite frequently. We have a website
for the general public which will grow when we are able to confirm and prove
some of our discoveries and when the Task Force is activated, we will also
use volunteers from the Task force to help with surveys etc. So anyone
involved in the Miami Blue should be subscribed. Even if it is just to access

it on line. Secondly, any one who is on the project and the science or
breeder end should be on TILS-Talk or Leps List as well. Anybody can join
these three lists. But
not MBBPR.
4) When we turn on the MBBRP list we do not want to bog down
on "everyone trying to reinvent the wheel". It will be member moderated. We
have
Nature Potpourri for general discussion and news and we have TILS-Talk for
scientific contribution. The MBBRP List It is for action plans
involving outings, projects, committee formation, support, etc., for the task

force but they need to be caught up to speed by inquiry. Anne will be working

on the her old CC list before I turn on and manage another list. She will
get the word from me.

We are concentrating on ants, host plants, relatives of the Blue etc.
Our only hurry is to have efforts from the Task Force ( read ...grass
roots before any listing is done). Our plan is the only way possible to
restore this butterfly. It is different from any of the other restoration
plans
that have been done and which have contributed to the fame of several
researchers.

We need money to
1) print thousands of John Calhoun's ID Brochure and have the Task
Force distribute it.
2) Organize to help with ongoing surveys, etc.,
3) Pay expenses, particularly for our field researchers.

People are growing host plants. Breeders are standing by etc. In several
weeks I will turn it on.  We have just had to concentrate our efforts on
liaison and preliminary research. We obviously are not going to be working
for free and a national Organization take the credit for it. They are
competing for donations and causing PR that has people holding back their
money.
Well, let me say this. We will succeed and I have no doubt about it. My
father's death and my most recent illness have set us back but I will not let
us
fail. so I suggest that some of you who are spending so much time
editorializing
either get aboard or get the hell out of our way.

NABA does not have the support or a grassroots base as we do. When
Anne said that eventually we would get thousands working in South Florida she

was not kidding. So we had flash's in the pan like that arborist, what's his
name? It does not matter. No one is irreplaceable. People talk about people
getting USFW grants etc. Well, for thirty years I have had to bid for them
and I think one still does. NABA should have joined us. We did what Jeff
asked for ...a grass roots effort! 100's of NABA people did and have
responded to us. Now, some of them have been threatened! Imagine that!!! They
(Jeff Glassberg ) should have congratulated us and shared the leadership with
TILS and C2M. Some of
the entomologists in the state said they would stand back and see what
Anne does. Do they think we do not know the scientific method! As Ron said to

me "what are we chopped liver".  I hope to ignore the NABA President unless
he
makes some recognition and sits down with us or our counsel.

However, I am quiite taken with Bob Kelly and Tropical Audubon and
will treat them independantly from their organization. We shamelessly, use
breeders, lepodopterists and other people that the people above have
slandered, ridiculed etc. That is not easy to forget and I have had
to make certain promises to the breeders for example, and if their support
continues to grow there is no way I will go back on my word. But when you
give
me your word I expect YOU to keep it ...talk is cheap.

A lot of people have to realize, while I support NABA, C2M and TILS
are professional organizations with much scientific backing and TILS has
direct experience in this type of project. I have worked with endangered
habitats and species since 1969 and my firm since 1973. We have heard some
ridiculous tales around the state and it is very easy for some people to talk

about the "butterfly first and work together". Well, I do not see any of them

kissing anyone's arse and I never will, so don't anyone expect it. I have
been
known to kick it. I am not doing this for fun. C2M and I have a dozen
projects to work on that could result in monies for C2M, or myself if I
should
desire. O. Lets all do a reality check here. I do not
plan to stay disabled. I certainly have not lost my wits only my breath. I
meet self -important people in many of the enviro orgs. Therefore we want
people who are themselves and do what they can do and do what they say and
let other people live their life. We want to wed all types of lepidoptery
people with the genral public and restore this butterfly.The environmental
and conservation movements have no room for phonies or charlatans...nor does
science.
We can give all of the phonies jobs in politics.

So Carol, we welcome your participation and if I was not always
putting out fires It would be a lot easier for us to progress.

Bob Parcelles, Jr.

Bob Parcelles, Jr.
Pinellas Park, Florida
Reply to: ParcBob at aol.com