New Geo larvae book

Richard Worth rworth at oda.state.or.us
Wed Mar 6 11:22:08 EST 2002

Beholders of the buttermoths,
I was just handed a copy, courtesy of Jeff Miller, of the Geometroid
Caterpillars of Northeastern and Appalachian Forests by Wagner,
Ferguson, McCabe and Reardon.  Another fine piece of work published
by the USDA-FS-FHTET.   I can tell a great deal of work went into
this, having myself reared numbers of caterpillars at a time over
several years.  It is the thickest of these books yet with 239 pp.
Each species is represented by a large photo of the larva, a brief
discussion of the larvae, hosts and biology, and a small (almost
thumbnail) photo of the adult.  There does seem, however, to be a lot
of wasted space per page.  It seem they could have either put two
species per page and cut the costs or made the adult pics bigger.
But I suppose they have their reasons.  Nonetheless, another great
reference in the tradition of the previous volumes and some more
outstanding photography.
Cheers,  Rich
Richard A. Worth
Oregon Department of Agriculture