[leps-talk] Re: Monarchs at Ground Zero

Paul Cavalconte cavalconte at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 8 10:15:00 EST 2002

The lower tip of Manhattan, especially Battery park is a standard Monarch
flyway, and the NYC parks Dept has recently planted very serviceable little
gardens along the Hudson River run up to about Canal Street.   Monarchs are
abundant, and many parkgoers get their first taste of concentrated Monarch
activity here.  For the past few seasons, much of my fall watching activity
has been centered here....a short walk from where I work.  The monarchs are
a frequent sight at the buddlieas along the park, and from high floors of
the area office buildings.   Of course, this past September, I missed my
walks, but the monarchs did not miss their flight path, despite the smoke,
dust and industrial activity.