[leps-talk] Re: Monarchs at Ground Zero

Paul Cherubini monarch at saber.net
Fri Mar 8 13:11:51 EST 2002

Bob wrote:

> What is your take on this discovery, Paul, Master of pseudo science
> and pragmatic challenger of the Hallowed Monarch?

The story below sounds a bit exaggerated, but yes, it is conceivable that
some chemicals in the concentrated smoke plume could have been toxic
to the migrating monarchs and sent them spiralling into the ground
where the firefighters were.

"He told a story about several firefighters walking through a plume
of smoke and then suddenly being swarmed by dozens of
monarchs! Apparently they were landing on the firefighters and swirling
around with the smoke."

Outside the most concentrated part of the smoke plume, I agree with
Paul Cavalconte's comment:

"the monarchs did not miss their flight path, despite the smoke,
dust and industrial activity."

Paul Cherubini