HOW TO HELP MONARCHS REBOUND

Randy Emmitt birdcr at concentric.net
Sun Mar 10 17:52:53 EST 2002

Folks,

For the first time I think I agree with Paul that Monarchs aren`t in any
danger. What I would recommend to help them would be very simple. There`s
thousands of acres of Common Milkweed growing in fields all over the
country (or other milkweeds) simply ask the land owners of fields not being
used for planting to only mow  their fields once a year in the late fall.
Mowing once a year will keep back the sapling trees just the same. So many
wild flowers are over mowed it makes me sick.
Maybe someone could come up with some kind of notice to place on fence
posts or telephone poles to get these ignorant people informed on what they
have? I`d be happy to post it for download at the
carolinabutterflysociety.org web site for download. I`d also be willing to
post any articles anyone would be willing to write on mowing/management of
fields for butterflies at the web site.

  I had up until last summer a 1/2 mile long roadside (powerline easement)
full of wildflowers and full of butterflies finding 30 species was the
normal when walking it and just down the road from me. Now the land owner
is selling the property and is mowing this easement regularly so the land
looks better.What a waste of time, energy and gasoline and I`m sure this
guy has no clue what he has there!

Randy Emmitt
Rougemont, NC

Randy Emmitt Photography