Once a year mowing

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Tue Mar 12 15:50:36 EST 2002

Whethere Monarchs are in trouble or not, getting once-a-year mowing is very
helpful. It doesn't completely keep out Rubus or Rosa, but it does preserve
meadows and old fields.  November (at least in the Northeast) is probably a
good time, and a high place will leave enough plants and litter to protect many
species that require such.  It's not the perfect solution but would be great
progress compared to mid-summer mowing.  Park people seem to have the hardest
time with this concept and like to mow in late June to create nice lawns for
summer picnics.   MGochfeld