Not a Pellitory in sight

Anne Kilmer viceroy at gate.net
Tue Mar 12 16:23:22 EST 2002

Michael Gochfeld wrote:

> Can't seem to find any Pellitory here, Anne, what prompted your introduction?
>
> Mike Gochfeld

well, you might not be looking in Florida or Texas.
A friend was glancing through the Minnos' lovely butterfly garden book,
and said oh gosh look, this stuff is Pellitory. And I looked at the
picture, and sure enough, there it was. It's a very common weed, the
sort of thing that grows under picnic tables and on well-trodden soil,
very soft and a light Eastery green.
I knew the name, and that Red Admirals like it, as they like False
Nettle, also a common weed of damp disturbed soil hereabouts, and now I
suppose I will have to be polite to it. What low company we keep, we
butterfly lovers.
I imagine you have to have nettles, which are pretty unfriendly,
although I am kind to them in Ireland. They're a pleasant potherb, and
good as a hair rinse, and nettle rash is almost as good as bee stings
and ant bites, if you have arthritis.
cheers
Anne Kilmer
South Florida