virus warning

John Shuey jshuey at TNC.ORG
Thu Mar 14 17:12:42 EST 2002

Following up on what Ann wrote - here's what our help desk just sent to TNC
staff:

__________________________________

We have received numerous reports concerning an email message with the
subject "Internet Security Update". Typically, it purports to have been sent
from someone who knows you. Even though this email message looks like a
legitimate security memo from the Microsoft Corporation Security Center, it
is fraudulent and it includes a virus attachment called Q216309.exe. If you
receive it, simply delete the email message.

Thank you for your cooperation!

========================DETAILS=============================

W32.Gibe at mm.html

========================

CHARACTERISTICS: This worm is spread via Microsoft Outlook. It sends itself
to all the addresses found in the Outlook address book. It installs a
backdoor Trojan program and makes modifications to the Windows operating
system.

RISK/DAMAGE: Medium

HOW TO AVOID: Do not open the email attachments called Q216309.exe. The
virus arrives with the subject line entitled, "Internet Security Update"
appearing to come from the Microsoft Corporation Security Center. Please
make sure that your antivirus definitions are current.

INDICATIONS OF INFECTION: When the Q216309.exe file is executed, it will
create the three files (Q216309.exe, Vtnmsccd.dll, Bctool.exe) in the
c:\windows folder. It will also send the same message to all the entries
found in the Outlook address book.

Protecting Yourself from Computer Viruses

1. Never open an email file attachment sent from an unknown address. Simply
delete the message.

2. Always use Norton AntiVirus to scan files downloaded from the Internet,
avoid downloading from the Internet if possible.

3. When someone hands you a floppy disk, always scan the disk with Norton
AntiVirus before accessing any files from it.

4. When Word or Excel opens a document with a warning, select "Disable

Macros," unless you are certain that the document is designed with harmless
macros.