monarchs

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Sun Mar 24 18:17:51 EST 2002

    The last 11 days have seen more monarchs passing through Austin TX than
I have ever seen before in spring (34 springs). These monarchs are very
little faded and most appear to be quite fresh and unscratched. They are
all of average or larger size. They are of the normal long apex/salmon spot
migratory phenotype. A good question is how old are they, and where did
they or their parents spend the winter.
    In light of the reports of disastrous winter kills at the classic
overwintering sites in the states of Michoacan and Mexico it seems unlikely
that they should have come from there. Should we be looking for another
overwintering area in the mountains of Veracruz or perhaps an area of
winter breeding on the Gulf Coastal Plain analogous to the winter
population of South Florida? In the past (seventies) I have seen monarchs
active in southern Tamaulipas in December. These were both long apex/salmon
spot migratory phenotype and short apex/white spot non-migratory phenotype
that is there in the summer too.
    Last October in the vicinity of Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, I observed the
split of the Monarch migratory stream around the Cumbres de Monterrey - the
west stream passing into Coahuila and the east stream passing down the East
side and first valley of the Sierra Madre Oriental. There were no Monarchs
in the interior valleys of the Cumbres de Monterrey while I was there. Does
the eastern stream swing west in San Luis Potosi, or does it continue
southward into Veracruz?

..............Chris Durden