Taxonomy With Technology

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Mon Mar 25 22:41:57 EST 2002

Uber-taxonomy: It wasn't clear whether you thought this was a good thing
or a bad thing.

About 30+ years ago when someone produced an image of 2D wholebody
chromatography of a fly,
I posed the question to the Systematics Discussion Group of the AMNH
whether anyone thought that you could use such techniques for species
level identification. I was thinking "Drosophila".  Neither the bird nor
mammal people were impressed with the idea of a mouse-squash technique,
and of course DNA-hybridization techniques made chromatography passe,
but I wonder whyether pattern recognition ever made it for specimen
identification of creatures (we do use such chemical fingerprinting in
forensics to identify the source of certain chemical mixtures).

Mike Gochfeld