[leps-talk] 2 interesting butterfly papers

Pierre A Plauzoles sphinxangelorum at bigfoot.com
Fri Mar 29 11:22:46 EST 2002

--------------711F8E2E0D168410EE1B65A2

Michael Gochfeld wrote:

> Thank you for your delightful insight into the proper names. Of course
> Diana must refer to just one girl (or perhaps THE GODDESS) while lorquin
> could refer to any one of the lorquins (Admiral Lorquin, perhaps).  As
> you have guessed from my previous posts I think that each species ought
> to be considered a proper noun and therefore capitalized.  It always
> seems so silly to see something like " several species of butterflies
> including  red admiral, Lorquin's admiral, viceroy, ....." when the word
> Lorquin is no more (and indeed much less) of an adjective than "red".

In the nomenclatural scheme of things in entomology, Lorquin, as far as I know, refers
to the French entomologist who came to California sometime between 1800 and 1870 (I
don't have any data on when he came, so the timing of his arrival is just a guess).  At
any rate, he is said to have used San Francisco as his base of operations and done
considerable work on the butterflies of California, traveling extensively about the
state.  What his naval/military status was is beyond the scope of my knowledge about
him.  He also is credited with being the first documented collector of butterflies in
Nevada.  See the Nevada State Museu and Historical Society webpage on him at

http://dmla.clan.lib.nv.us/docs/dmla/newsletters/mus-lv-02.htm#8

The Lorquin's Admiral (Basilarchia lorquini) is named for him, as is the Lorquin
Entomological Society.

See the lensjoy.com site (http://www.lensjoy.com/gallery/41.htm) or Markku Savela's
website for further details on the butterfly, or the Society's website for a historical
sketch on his stay in California.  The URL is

http://www.nhm.org/research/entomology/LorquinSoc/les1940.html

--------------711F8E2E0D168410EE1B65A2

Michael Gochfeld wrote:
names. Of course
As
always
the word
In the nomenclatural scheme of things in entomology, Lorquin, as far as
I know, refers to the French entomologist who came to California sometime
between 1800 and 1870 (I don't have any data on when he came, so the timing
of his arrival is just a guess).&nbsp; At any rate, he is said to have
used San Francisco as his base of operations and done considerable work
on the butterflies of California, traveling extensively about the state.&nbsp;
What his naval/military status was is beyond the scope of my knowledge
about him.&nbsp; He also is credited with being the first documented collector
of butterflies in Nevada.&nbsp; See the Nevada State Museu and Historical
Society webpage on him at
as is the Lorquin Entomological Society.
Markku Savela's website for further details on the butterfly, or the Society's
website for a historical sketch on his stay in California.&nbsp; The URL
is