"Listing"

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Wed May 1 07:03:37 EDT 2002

Mark, I can see where you're coming from. Listing means that we've
gotten close to the point of no return. But listing also can be a first
step on the road home.  It can lead to recovery plans, some of which
have been very successful.  I think it's unfortunate that we have to
wait until something is endangered before doing something about it.
That's why habitat protection groups like Trust for Public Lands, Rare
Animal Relief Effort (RARE), and Nature Conservancy  get my vote (and
occasionally my dollar).

But getting something listed can be crucial to protecting its habitat.
Conversely, in many places (including developmentophilic NJ) there is no
protection for a habitat (however lovely) if it doesn't contain
something that's listed (and even then?).

Mike Gochfeld