[leps-talk] Re: Miami Blue - list or save?

Michael Klein keps2 at flite-tours.com
Wed May 1 09:40:43 EDT 2002

A very good point on listing or not.  Since the quino Checkerspot butterfly
(Euphydryas editha quino) was listed in 1997, it has caused much heartburn
to the development interests.  There is constant negotiations with the
wildlife agencies.  Listing a species, especially invertebrates, could cause
the demise of the creature instead of doing what it is suppose to do under
the Endangered Species Act (ESA) and that is to recover it.  I feel strong
about this since I am permitted to perform surveys for some listed wildlife
and see alteration of habitat that would be normally good for survival of a
particular species just so certain interests could be met.  In most cases it
was not for the benefit of the protected species.  In Southern California, I
believe the listing of Quino if anything showed us how little we know about
invertebrates and their biology.  Yes, if certain mitigating circumstances
show that existence of a species would be worse off if not protected, then
by all means protect it.

Personally I am seriously looking at one with David Faulkner for listing
because its demises is possible due to the huge demand for development and
fire management issues.  That is the Hermes Copper (Lycaena hermes).  Even
then there needs to be compelling evidence that protection will stabilize
and recover the species.  If not, I would not support a listing.

Michael Klein
San Diego