numbers game or counting- Forgot something

Anne Kilmer viceroy at GATE.NET
Thu May 2 02:05:10 EDT 2002

Lynn Scott wrote:

> I've been following this thread about counts with a kind of horrid
> fascination, and trying to imagine what I would be able to count if we
> had a one-night moth count in my area of Ottawa, Canada if I were the
> only person participating.  Answer is, anywhere from 0 to about 20
> species at my location, in quantities anywhere from 0 to 25 or so,
> depending on the date, the weather, and how many times I actually looked
> to see what was there.  In actual fact, over 2000 species of lepidoptera
> have been recorded from the Ottawa area, and in just over two years
> within 25 feet of my own front door I have photographed at least 500
> species, many of which I have yet to identify (and when I started taking
> pictures, I was naively expecting that there might be 50 or 100
> different kinds of moth around here).  The problem is that many of these
> moths are very seasonal, and if you're not looking when they're flying,
> you simply won't know if they're flying in your area at all.  I assume
> the same would be true of many butterflies.
>
> So I guess my question is whether the purpose of these counts is to
> ascertain how many of "something" happen to be around at a particular
> time, or whether the purpose is to find out how many kinds of
> "something" happen to be around at all, or both?  And then there's also
> the question of whether a specific "something" is present at a time
> because it normally would be around at that time, or whether it is there
> because of some freak of wind and weather conditions.  Whatever the
> purpose of counting, it seems to me that a common understanding of that
> purpose and broadly consistent practices are needed, or the data
> accumulated in the count(s) may have rather limited use.
>
> My apologies if I sound as though I'm being deliberately obtuse.
>
> Lynn Scott

Well, now. As I understand the purpose of the NABA count, it pretty well
amounts to "Let's get among them", as Leroy would say.
It's a nice party, many neophytes are introduced to the wonders of
butterflying, and everyone has a good time.
The press comes along and takes pictures of Alana in her shorts, with
her lovely long legs, swinging her net, or whatever pretty girl they
happen to have on hand, and maybe a picture of a butterfly sitting very
still, and you get a bit of publicity, which is also nice.
As to scientific accuracy, you probably get an accurate count on the
participants.

I agree that the choice of date is an annoying one ... wasn't Xerces
Society using that same date, before NABA "hijacked it"? The idea was
probably to choose a date when the weather was reasonably agreeable
everywhere, and when Canada wasn't under a thick layer of snow ... not
to mention New York.
As a Floridian, I don't find July agreeable. That's why I now spend
summers in Ireland. We have a fourth of July here, too, you know; just
not a Fourth.

The count circle is, of course, arranged to include as many butterfly
gardens as possible. We were able to include the zoo and Mounts
Botanical Garden in one of our count circles in the Atala Chapter (West
Palm Beach, Florida and environs) and, in fact, had three circles, so as
to include as many of the local private butterfly gardens as possible.
Made for great bragging.
But I imagine that people counting a transect choose a place where there
are butterflies. Success is a great motivator.

Conditions change, but the count circles remain the same. If the zoo
stops being kind to butterflies, if the Mounts starts using pesticides
or releasing butterflies at weddings, there it still is in the circle,
and the change is documented.
   Enough real butterfliers accompany each counting group, net in hand,
to make sure that counts are as accurate as possible. Y'all have
discussed exhaustively the perils of estimating, and the neglect of
sub-species and difficult identifications. Obviously all Checkered
Skippers, for instance, are suspect in the South, unless you've turned
up their little tails. That's why the nets are there.
Assuming that the same counters attend every time, your count accuracy
is stable. Where Bob Beiringer is counting, for instance, you can be
sure the count is well done and scientifically as accurate as possible.

As a scientific endeavor, the NABA count is flawed. We are mere mortals.
As a brag, the count is flawed ... it's not timed for the part of the
year that our species are there and easy to see ... that's true for many
of you. But it isn't the point.
As a way of getting public attention for butterflies and butterfliers,
it's just fine. It gets good PR, people enjoy it, they get out in the
lovely countryside, see plenty of bugs, and if a good butterfly spot
becomes a condominium, they see this, sorrow for it, and complain to the
powers that be.

Me, I think we should do the count in December. Barb might not agree.
Back when I was active in the chapter, before my health went west, we
talked of doing four counts a year. I don't think we ever followed
through on that, but it would certainly have made the count more
interesting. I see Kenelm, pattering across the taiga on May First
(The first of May, the first of May,
Outdoor loving begins today)
with his little net, poking about the dwarf willows in search of
unfrozen larvae ...
And everybody has a First of May, though here and there this date, too,
has political connections.
I think it would be fun to do the counts on the Solstices and the
Equinoxes, and let the butts fall where they may. Too bad for those of
you who will have to count six Small Tortoiseshells (hibernating in the
woodshed) and a Red Admiral (likewise, in the study) ... I'm all right,
Jack.
As for me, the swallows are back, lambs are dashing across the pasture
far below me, racing the gulls; it is a bright and sunshiny morning, and
it's hard to believe that gales and hail are predicted, again, for the
day. It's a fine day not to be a butterfly.
Cheers
Anne Kilmer
Mayo, Ireland