Miami Blue ACTION!

Patrick Foley patfoley at csus.edu
Thu May 2 14:05:03 EDT 2002

Norbert, Ron, Barb and everyone,

In the United States of America, any citizen can make a case for listing a
species. It is up to the Secretary of the Interior (or the Secretary of Commerce
for marine species -- an odd situation) and the Secretary's experts to decide
whether or not to list.

It is possible to assess vulnerability to extinction. There is a vast literature
on the subject, some of it by me. A very recent collection of papers is S. R.
Beissinger and D. R. McCullough 2002, Population Viability Analysis, U Chicago
Press. I believe that Morris and Doak will be soon updating the freely available
(by WWW) Nature Conservancy booklet on the subject.

There certainly is politics, legalism and all manner of other foolishness in the
listing process, but there is also some science, and the Endangered Species Act
explicitly states that the best available science must be used. It is up to us
to make better science available.

I am not on the ground in Florida, and nothing I say here should suggest that I
know what is best for the Miami Blue. I am saddened and dismayed that the NABA
leadership has not found a way to work more constructively with the naturalists
and scientists on the spot. However I do detect a little wild-thinking in some
posts on this. For example: Do butterfly watchers actually trample more habitat
than collectors? Is it really wrong to reveal locations especially if they are
State protected to some extent? Do you think that Jeffrey Glassberg is more
influenced by an overweening desire for fame or by a natural reluctance to
collaborate with groups that devote half of their public energy to attacking him
and NABA?

Obviously, many people associated with the Miami Blue project are also
associated with NABA. You must feel very torn about this and my sympathies to
you. I wish the NABA leadership would clear up their reasoning about failures to
cooperate. It is remarkable how easy it is to get preschoolers to recognize the
need to cooperate (even against their first impulses), and how hard it is to
convince adults, even those with a lot of experience in the world and a
knowledge of history.

Patrick Foley
patfoley at csus.edu