[leps-talk] Miami Blue

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Thu May 2 16:52:39 EDT 2002

On Thursday 02 May 2002 09:37 pm, John Calhoun wrote:

I sincerely implore people to listen _AND_TAKE_HEED_ of what John Calhoun
has written below. He is _absolutely_ right in all that he is saying.
Frankly, anyone with a decent understanding of ecology and conservation would
say the same thing. If you go against these principles your chances of
properly impressing the authorities that you are competant are _zero_.

I have been meaning to say the same thing privately to the people involved
for sometime.

Let's do it, but for the butterfly's sake we have got to get it right!

> Anne,
>
> There is a very disturbing "cart before the horse" mentality at work here.
> I really don't think you have a clear grasp of what a successful captive
> breeding program really entails! Although this may be a viable alternative,
> there are a lot of variables that must be considered.  There is only one
> known population and we simply don't know anything about it's ecology and
> what impact the removal of adults or early stages may have.  In addition,
> the population occurs on state land, necessitating permits.  This is a slow
> process, believe me.  It will not happen overnight.  If another populations
> is located on private property, great.  Until then, let's not forget that
> the state will not let a bunch of people go in and grab material for
> captive breeding.  A detailed plan would be required and no such strategy
> has been penned.
>
> Prior to ANY such projects, a comprehensive study needs to be conducted
> documenting the ecology of the population.  We need to concentrate on
> studying the insect and educating the public.  Not picking or spreading
> seeds of balloon-vine (a potential pest if it is not monitored properly).
> Not urging nurseries to grow and distribute large quantities of
> balloon-vine.  Not working on captive breeding programs for the butterfly.
> Moving too quickly can do more harm than good.
>
> We're not talking about growing milkweeds for monarchs.  We are talking
> about a fragile, endemic subspecies that may be reduced to one or very few
> surviving populations.  It deserves attention by knowledgeable individuals
> who must determine the current needs of the population and what
> alternatives are available based on that research.
>
> Anne, please consider this suggestion.  Your specialty is education. Please
> concentrate your enthusiasm on that strength and allow others to identify
> long-term alternatives for restoration when the time is right.  I feel very
> strongly about any direct interaction with this population.  I understand
> there is a lot of excitement involving the Miami Blue.  I think too many
> well-intentioned folks want to become directly involved in "saving" a cute
> little blue butterfly that few seemed to care about, or even knew existed,
> a year ago.  Too much attention for all the wrong reasons.  Improper
> decisions could mean disaster.
>
> John Calhoun

Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.butterflyguy.com/
NOTE NEW WEB ADDRESS
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn Bog
National Nature Reserve